Monday, May 13, 2013

Online Portfolios

Last week, I was approached about two job opportunities. Considering I'm still doing my PhD and not actively looking for side work that's not bad.  Since returning to school, I haven't kept up my career prospects efforts by fostering my online presence and building contacts. 

I've got the basics covered, but one needs to constantly update and finesse one's efforts, such as:
  • LinkedIn - updating your profile with new skills and positions and adding new (genuine) contacts 
  • Google - owning the first page of your name results 
  • Social media - having a presence on the latest new thing and a strong focus on the main, applicable social media sites
This blog has generated some attention over the years from industry and academic leads. Blogging is a great way to build online presence and demonstrate expertise. I could blog more strategically for my career, but as I only blog for enjoyment that would take the fun out of blogging.

One of the most important tasks for creating an online presence is having an online portfolio. I've had it on my to do list for years, but I never found the right conditions to actually do it.  

I was once asked in job interviews about my lack of an online portfolio. I replied "Those who have a great portfolio have a lot of time on their hands while those who have a busy career don't have time to build and finesse a beautiful portfolio".  Although not completely true, it did satisfy my interviewer.

The main reason, I didn't have an online portfolio is that I did not have the time or inclination to design and code something from scratch. Nor did I have the budget to hire someone to build one for me (and that also feels like cheating to me anyway).

But with these recent job inquiries, I decided it was time to launch a portfolio.  After research and viewing samples, I decided to use WordPress.com for the templates and hosting.  The price is great - free all around and no ads - and it's easy to use. The main problem, however, is it is not as customizable as I'd like.

I know it's not great (I go back to my prior quotation for justification), but it covers all the facets and info I want to convey.

Take a look at it and let me know if you have any feedback on what it needs or suggestions for better online portfolio solutions that meet my budget (i.e. free) and time (i.e. next to none) needs.

Glen Farrelly Portfolio - Digital Media Consultant and Researcher

No comments: