Based on this ongoing monitoring, I have found they break down into the categories below.
Typology of Locative Services:
- Art (e.g. showcasing art, encouraging artistic production, or fostering art experiences)
- Coordination, Communication, and Safety
- Commerce and Marketing
- Geosocial Networking (e.g. social networking centred around places visited)
- Local Discovery (e.g. encouraging exploration of places or discovering new info about places)
- Location-based Games (e.g. using one's physical location as element of game play)
- Hyperlocal News and Information (e.g. news based on a small area, neighbourhood)
- Navigation and Transportation
- Personal Efficiency and Organization (e.g. place based reminders, lists)
- Social Recommendation and Navigation (e.g. business' reviews)
- Travel and Place Guides
If I missed a category, let me know.